Tuesday, April 7, 2009

World Save

Working on a first version of a savefile format for a generated world.

I've shoehorned in PhysFS support for virtual filesystem abilities, and I'm writing support for .ZIP archive creation. When the world is saved out to file it is saved to a .ZIP archive for convenience of passing around world files.

On the slate once I've implemented world save/load: I plan to start work on sub-map generation, which means an all new set of graphics since the sub-maps represent a much lower level of zoom. I'm still mulling over some ideas for how I want to handle it. Possiblity 1 is to handle it in the same manner as the overmap, ie a tile-based world with blended transition tiles and object sprites scattered across it. Possiblity 2, though, is to implement it using the smoothly-blended terrain scheme I came up with in an earlier project, visible in this old screenshot:


As you can see, gone are the square, blocky tile transitions of the overmap. I like the scheme, but the algorithm is clunky and I would need to update it. My biggest worry, though, is about the contrast between styles. I'm not sure how it would work, or how it would jar the expectations of the player. Most likely, I will stick with "pure" tiles even for the sub-maps. (Ignore the 3D terrain; I have no plans to do any 3D at all for this game. The terrain blending would be done on a simple 2D tile board. The tiles would still exist, they would just be overlaid with the more complex terrain blending.)

No comments: