Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tweaks

Just tweaking the colors a little bit, for a bit more vibrancy and warmth. The submap water layer has partial transparency so that I can use the water bed terrain type to darken or lighten the water, and distinguish deep water from shallow water. I'll be able to use that later in implementing shallow water river fords and such.

I did an experiment earlier today, replacing the procedurally generated submap grass layer with one I edited from a photograph of real grass, and while the results were pretty good I had the wife tell me she liked the original stuff better. I tend to agree with her. Textures from real-life sources tend to have a lot of detail that a simple procedural texture does not, and while in many applications this is desirable, for the updated-old-school look I've been working for, a simpler and less detailed look seems to suit better. Maybe in the next day or two, I'll post screens of both somewhere and take a vote on it.

No comments: